Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Didja ever.....

...just feel like all you want to do is coast through some aspect of your life?   Well, that's what I've been doing as far as the blog goes.  When I looked at the date I couldn't believe it has been over a month since I posted anything.  Sheesh!

I did go on with trying to teach Trudy how to get in the car on her own.  I settled on one phrase to tell her to get in (In the car!) and another one for getting out (Let's go!)  We spent about 15 minutes on it that day, and she really was getting into the spirit of it.  I'd tell her Let's go! and she'd cautiously (but eagerly!) get out of the car and we'd walk 20 feet or so away from the car. I'd treat her, wait a moment, then we'd go back to the car and start over.  She still just did it if she could actually see the treat on the floor board after I'd brought my hand close enough to her face to know there was something in this game for her.  But I still  have not weaned her off depending on the treat yet. 

(Also, the "let's go!" voice did not work last weekend when we got to the strip mall where the grooming salon is...she just does not like to go into PetSmart or Petco, even though she always gets treats. I even held a savory, favorite treat right in front of her nose and she barely sniffed at it.)

This past week it's been too cold to play outside games.  This morning the temp was 25 when we went for our walk, but the wind chill was 14!  In southeastern Virginia!  Dawn will probably laugh, but for me to go out in that kind of weather requires: jeans over pajama bottoms; long-sleeve t-shirt; sweater; hooded sweatshirt; wool scarf around mouth & chin; fairly lightweight winter jacket; heavy gloves.  Then of course, when we come back in, it's a struggle to get back down to the basic layers fast enough that I don't collapse from the heat!

When I adopted Trudy in June, I never thought ahead to what the winters would be like. LOL  But looking back on it--it would not have made a bit of difference. 

5 comments:

  1. Haha, if there is no treats, Eva won't do anything at all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yea, I'm laughing...not at you of course...WITH you! :)

    Katie hates Hates HATES the groomer too, and I'm sure would not move a muscle even if I had cooked chicken in my hand if we were there. I have to pry her out of her crate in the back of the car, and she shakes like a leaf while I carry her in. I feel so bad. But the groomer says she's fine once she's in there. I think she does it all just to make me feel bad.

    Hope it gets warmer for you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, the temps are a little bit better today, but most (if not all) of southeastern Virginia's school districts and the colleges (Yay!) are closed for a snow day. We might get 3-5 inches of snow! It just started snowing about an hour ago; pavement is covered, but the grass is still visible. Virginians are wimps,and I admit to having become one myself where snow is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ludo hates to be groomed. He pretends to like it but within a minute or two he's attacking the brush. Strangely he is fine if I put him on his table with the lead on, but other than that he has no patience!
    Hope it warms up for you, it's cold here too! Ludo is not keen on all the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only way I can groom Katie is to put her on a table too. I think that gets her out of "HER" element so she behaves...at least a little better...while I'm brushing her. Which reminds me, she's due for another brushing...poor girl.

    ReplyDelete