Reilly and his mom Bree are having a contest on their blog, and to enter you have to tell how your dog got his/her name. Since Trudy's vacationing in Northern Virginia today, I'll submit her entry.
As I probably lhave mentioned, I adopted her from Northern Virginia Sheltie Rescue on June 1st of 2008. She had been with NVSR only since May 14th--her 5th birthday was when she was surrendered. What a birthday present! Seriously--it was eventually a great present for me. ;-)
Anyway, her name was Prudy. Now, honestly--who names a dog PRUDY?? (No offense meant to those who have had a Prudy, it just seemed very unusual to me.) Not only that, she was listed officially by NVSR as Prudy2, the second dog of that name who had come into their care.
Prudy and I were able to have a little alone time away from her foster mom and her dogs, and the friend who had come on the trip with me. We took a little walk, sat in a gazebo and got to know each other better, and she decided she wanted to come home with me. I had already had my home visit/check by a different NVSR volunteer, so I was able to bring her home as soon as the paperwork was signed. I signed the papers to adopt Prudy2, but as we went through the foster mom's door, I told everyone that TRUDY was going home! (And I hope she'll be coming home again with me tomorrow. I was going to pick her up today, but she's almost 150 miles away and there's all sorts of bad weather in Virginia today. I hope to get her on Sunday, when the weather (PLEASE!) calms down. It's been two weeks now since we've seen each other.)
[P.S.: I was finally able to learn a little about the first NVSR Prudy from a recent newsletter. She had been adopted years ago and had died (from a happy old age, I'm guessing). The write-up by her Mom was very touching.]
Sometimes our rescues need new names. I added my story to her list. One of our shelties kept his name. However, the second did not even know her name and we had to help her find a name when she came home with us.
ReplyDeleteSuch a nice story about Trudy! Hope you have her back with you by now!
ReplyDeleteHi, Dawn! (As you can tell, we're not NEARLY as active on our blog as you and Katie are.) Yeah, I was able to pick Trudy up on April 17th, so we were apart for 15 days. She was soooo happy to see me. Did I mention anywhere that her foster mom told me that, since I left through their kitchen door through their garage, every so often Trudy would go to the door, look at it and whine? But she was doing that less and less as time went by. I got back just in time, before she forgot me! (kidding...I don't think she really would.)
ReplyDeleteShe's going to be 8 on the 14th, and her Gotcha Day is June 1st! This is a good time of year for us...